Manufacturing Methods of Felt & Nonwovens
Felt and Nonwovens are textile products made by three-dimensionally intertwining and bonding fibers to form a fabric.
From among the various manufacturing methods, let us introduce you to the typical processes we use at AMBIC.
1.Mixing Raw Material
The fibers are untangled and mixed.
The fibers are untangled to make a unidirectional aligned wraps.
※ Click on the manufacturing method, you wish to know more about:
- They use the wool as main material. They can be take advantage of wool-specific heat retention, moisture absorption & desorption, flame resistance, water repellency, and dyeing properties.
- Parts for musical instruments, colored felt, carpets, interlining, gaskets, abrasives, etc.
This process uses the felting (wrinkling) properties of wool. Moisture and heat are applied to the wrap, and then force is applied to the wrap to intertwine the fibers.
The Felt is sandwiched between the upper and lower rolls, and pressure is applied to adjust the specified hardness.
The Felt is dyed to the specified color.
The excess water is removed.
The Felt is sandwiched between the upper and lower hot plates, and pressure is applied to adjust the surface smoothly.
- They can be made from all kinds of fibers.
They can be added a wide range of specifications and characteristics – from thin (about 1 mm) to thick (>10 mm) and from soft to hard.
- Filters, industrial materials, padding materials, carpets, interlining, etc.
- They require mixing in thermally-bondable fibers.
They can be added a range of specifications ― from thin to bulky in thickness, by changing the melting method.
- Insulators, cleaning materials, cushioning materials, sanitary materials, etc.
- The functions of adhesive polymers can be change the hardness. One of their features is that it is easy to add values, such as flame resistance and deodorization, by containing in functional polymers.
- Cushioning materials, industrial materials, filters, interlining, etc.
- Their most notable feature is their thin and soft finish. They can be added minimal fiber damage and smooth surface.
- Cushioning materials, industrial materials, sanitary materials, wipers, etc.
The finished products are inspected to ensure that there are no defects.
We make high functionality and high performance products by combining of processing technologies ― not just to our products but also to various Felt and Nonwovenss.
We specialize in “half-cut” processing as well as cutting to high-precision dimensions and shapes.
We excel in sewing to make unique shapes for various applications with high-precision dimensions.
We can slit Felt & Nonwovens as well as composite products as small as a few millimeters class.
Precision Thickness Slicing
One of our signature technologies is slicing Felt & Nonwovens in the hundreds-of-microns class.
Felt and Nonwovens can be augmented with high functionality such as flame resistance and water repellency by immersing them in resin.
We can fold in layers, and Nonwovens with various functionalities while compositing them.
The Nonwovens are charged by applying a strong electric charge, enabling fine dust to be collected.